Friday, November 14, 2008

New English File Listening 1C: Personality adjectives

LISTENING EXERCISE

  • Listen to a man talking about how position in the family has affected his and his family's personality. Which positions does he talk about?

1. oldest child 2. middle child 3. youngest child 4. only child

  • Listen again. Which adjectives does he use describe each person?

himself: not spoilt, not s______, not i______, r_______, o______

his father: r______, b______

  • Listen again reading the transcript. Try to guess the meaning of any words you don't know. Verify with dictionary.

Transcript

I'm an only child. I don't think I was spoilt, but maybe I was. I don't consider myself to be selfish, but I'm probably not very good at seeing things from other people's point of view. Maybe that's because I'm not very imaginative. I am quite responsible and organized though, so probably most of what the psychologist says is true for me.

Er- other people in my family- well my wife is a youngest child. I think she's quite affectionate, that's true, but she certainly isn't lazy -she's one of the most hardworking people I know, and I say she's charming but she's not manipulative.

My dad is and oldest child and I think it's true that he is much more responsible than his brother and sister, and I know they think he was always quite bossy. Actually they still think he is.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Where did you get these listenings?? I need them!! Can you help me?

Anonymous said...

You make a valid point!
Personality Questionnaire