Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New English File Intermediate-Listening 1B: past tenses




LISTENING EXERCISES

1. Listen to a woman talking about a time when she cheated in an exam. Which of the following is correct:

  • She failed the exam.
  • Her friend failed the exam.
  • She and her friend both failed the exam.

2. Listen again and answer the following questions:

  • Which subject did she hate the most?
  • What was the difference between the chemistry teacher and the physics teacher?
  • Who was she sitting next to in the exam?
  • Where did he put his answers?
  • What did the teacher do when she saw them?

3. Listen again with the script.

I cheated in a chemistry exam when I was at secondary school. I think I was about 16 or 17 years old. I hated all the sciences - chemistry, biology and physics. I just couldn't understand them. I hated physics the most but I never cheated on the physics exam because the teacher was really strict and he always watched us really carefully.

The chemistry teacher was a lot more relaxed. She was reading a book while we were doing the exam. I was sitting next to my best friend -he was very good at chemistry- and he'd written all the answers on a piece of paper. Then he folded the piece of paper, put it in his pencil case, and passed his pencil case to me. But just at that moment, the teacher looked up from her book and saw my friend giving me the pencil case.

She came up to my desk and took the pencil case from me and opened it. When she saw the answers written on the piece of paper she got really angry and sent us out of the room. Luckily she didn't tell our parents but we failed the exam of course.

No comments: