Tuesday, January 6, 2009

He's not going to make it

Larry J. Pitman from www.livinginperu.com

The other day I was talking to our veterinarian. She mentioned that her sister is married to an American, and that they had moved to Lima a year ago. She shook her head sadly and said: “I predict that they will soon go back to the U.S. The husband is not going to make it here.” After hearing this, the first thing I said was, “Is it the language?” She nodded in agreement. Although the husband had started a one month course in Spanish, he soon became frustrated and abandoned his studies. Now he is isolated and completely dependent on his wife. Every day he is more depressed.
I can understand how he feels. This situation illustrates the importance of learning Spanish for a successful stay in a country like Peru. When we decided to move to Peru almost four years ago, I set several goals for myself: to learn Spanish as well as I could and to learn as much as possible about Peru through reading and talking to people. I had a head start in Spanish because some forty years ago I lived in Bolivia as a Peace Corps Volunteer and had to use Spanish there on a daily basis. Nevertheless, I was surprised at how rusty I was. I quickly became aware that my ability in Spanish was far below what I had expected. For example, whenever my wife’s family got together, I was silent. Sometimes I could understand the conversation and begin to formulate a comment, but by the time I figured out the correct verb tense, they were on to another topic. So I remained out of it. I was mute, but with so many things that I wanted to say. Of course, I felt like a dummy. The telephone held a particular terror for me. Anything beyond a basic conversation led me to hand the phone to my wife and ask her to do the talking. After a year of this, she handed the phone back to me and told me that it was time that I did my own business on the telephone. It was the best thing she could have done. Although it was difficult for me, slowly I began to understand what was being said. In turn I realized that they now understood me.
Now I am much more confident and make my own telephone calls. It helped to take a six week refresher course at a Spanish language program here in Lima. That gave me a review of grammar that I needed. What helped even more was the realization that the only way to really learn the language is to use it. In addition, I realized that even if I made mistakes, no one was going to laugh at me. So I resolved to use the language as much as possible. Therefore, aside from using the telephone, I read the newspaper in Spanish every day, I listen to the news broadcasts every day and I look for all sorts of opportunities to talk with people. For example, I have a group of friends who speak only Spanish, and we go out to have a beer every once in a while. This really helps. I know that I will never speak Spanish like a native. And that is ok. More important is that I communicate and understand. It is a big effort but, I believe, it’s the key to making it in Peru.
October 20, 2008
Larry J. Pitman is a Californian living in Peru for the past four years. He is a professor at the Universidad del Pacifico in Lima.
Note from the blogger: red printing shows past perfect sentences.

No comments: