Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Solano heading home to Peru to finish career

Nolberto Solano is returning home to Peru to finish his playing career with Universitario.
The 34-year-old former Aston Villa, Newcastle and West Ham winger is leaving Greek club Larissa to link up with new Universitario boss Juan Reynoso.
''My signing happens thanks to the friendship I have with Juan Reynoso and the seriousness of Universitario officials,'' Solano told El Bocon newspaper.
''I like ambitious, serious projects and Universitario are heading that way. I am also excited about playing in the Copa Libertadores this year and because I know Juan (Reynoso) very well and I know he will be good for the club.''
Solano, who spent three seasons with Universitario's arch-rivals Sporting Cristal from 1994 to 1997, has signed a two-year contract that he expects will take him to the end of his playing career.
''My idea is to play two years for Universitario, win the local league and do a good job in the Copa Libertadores,'' he said. ''Then, I will probably retire by playing at the Estadio Monumental (Universitario's home stadium).
''Then I will study to be a coach, probably in Argentina.''
Solano, 34, has spent most of his career in the English Premier League, where he had two periods with Newcastle United and also played for Aston Villa and West Ham United.
From ESPNsoccernet.

No comments: