Wednesday, July 9, 2008

***** DESCRIBING PEOPLE *****

Here you can find some adjectives which can help you to describe people. Also some examples on how to use them. To describe a person you can talk about the following seven items: height, weight, build, face & head, age, looks and personality.


1. HEIGHT: short, medium-height, tall.

Mary is a very tall woman.

Tom is quite short.

My father is medium-height
.


2. WEIGHT: skinny, slim, thin, chubby (fat in a pleasant, atractive way), overweight, fat, obese (really big).

Cynthia is really slim.

I was very thin when I was in the hospital.

The doctor said I'm overweight.

My baby has chubby legs and chubby cheeks.


3. BUILD: well-built (a person who is large & strong)

My brother works out every day so he's well-built.

4. FACE & HEAD:

Skin color: dark, light.
Eyes color: brown, blue, green
Hair length: short, shoulder-length, long.
Hair color: blonde, brown, black, grey, red.
Hair shape: straight, wavy, curly.
Face hair: a beard/ a mustache.


She has dark hair and dark skin.
She has brown eyes.
Linda has blonde hair and light skin.
Fidel Castro has always had a beard and a mustache.
Rose has short black hair.
Sarah has lovely wavy blond hair.


5. AGE:

My grandmother is 97. She's very old.
My sister is 14. She's young.
My father is 50. He's middle-aged.
My cousin is in her twenties.
My uncle is in his late forties.


6. LOOKS:

Gorgeous (extremely beautiful)
Pretty/beautiful (for women only)
Handsome (for men only)
Atractive/good looking
Average-looking
Plain
(not atractive)
Homely/ugly (not very atractive)

My sister is very pretty. She's a beautiful girl.
Johnny Depp is a handsome man.
Julia Roberts is gorgeous.
My next-door neighboor is not ugly or beautiful. She's average looking.
My secretary is quite plain.


7. PERSONALITY:

Friendly, unfriendly
Funny, serious
Generous, mean
Lazy, hard-working
Shy, extrovert or outgoing
Talkative, quiet


My boss is a very outgoing person. He makes friends very easily.
My daughter is talkative at home but very quite at school.
My company is full of hard-working people.
Linda is really shy. She's uncomfortable around people.

No comments: