Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I heard through the grapevine...


To hear rumors. To hear through friends or friends. When some information, gossip or rumor is transmitted from person to person.

I heard through the grapevine that he's been transferred to another location because he had an issue or two. Is that true or just rumors?

I hear through the grapevine that you're going to become the next Regional Director. Congrats!

I'm hearing through the grapevine that they're planning to get married secretly to avoid the paparazzi.

I just heard through the grapevine that your boss and his secretary are having an affair.
I heard through the grapevine that she likes him.
NOTE from the BLOGGER: Soon after the telegraph was invented the term 'grapevine telegraph' was coined - first recorded in a US dictionary in 1852. The allusion was to interactions amongst people who could be expected to be found amongst grapevines, i.e. the rural poor.


No comments: